Some of the nation’s finest footballers have spent part of their career in French football.
We have decided to look at some of the French Ligue goal scorers from Nigeria, here are five of the best Nigerian goalscorers French Ligue 1 history:
5. Jay Jay Okocha: One of the best members of the Super Eagles’ golden generation, Jay Jay enjoyed a good stint with Paris Saint-Germain. He netted 12 goals in 84 French top flight outings.
4. Taiye Taiwo: Olympique Marseille signed Taiye Taiwo who was just 20-year-old at that time from Lobi Stars as a replacement for ageing Bixente Lizarazu. The former Super Eagles star earned 191 appearances to his name for Marseille and scored 17 goals in those Ligue 1 games he featured in.
3. Victor Osimhen: The Super Eagles striker netted 18 goals in 38 league appearances for Lille in one season after moving to France from Sporting Charleroi. The Nigeria international subsequently signed for Napoli and has struggled to find form in the Serie A.
2. John Utaka: Utaka played for Lens and Rennes before going on to represent the likes of Portsmouth and Sivasspor. He ended his Ligue 1 tenure with 59 goals in 239 fixtures.
1. Victor Ikpeba: The most successful Nigerian frontman in the French top flight, Ikpeba found the net 50 times in 175 outings for Monaco. He won the 1997 African Footballer of the Year award.