Nigerian born strikers Uche Ikpeazu and Adebayo Akinfenwa combined to help Wycombe Wanderers beat Bristol City 2-1 on Wednesday.

The Robins led through Tyreeq Bakinson’s first-half thunderbolt – his second goal is as many games – but The Chairboys battled back in the second half through Uche Ikpeazu equaliser.

The hosts showed spirit at Adams Park and had City under the cosh late on. They even threw goalkeeper David Stockdale forward in stoppage time and through him, Wycombe were gifted the chance to take the lead.

After a late spell of pressure in the box the keeper’s shot struck the arm of Kasey Palmer and referee Dean Whitestone had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Akinfenwa stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick and converted from 12 yards to strike home his first Sky Bet Championship goal and seal the hosts all three points.

Pearson would have been happier by City’s first-half display, which almost led to a first club goal for Han-Noah Massengo. He picked up the ball after a touch from Famara Diédhiou but he couldn’t steer a left-foot shot on target.

At the other end, Jason McCarthy hit a cross straight at Tomas Kalas’ arm and the referee rightly turned down appeals for a penalty, before Admiral Muskwe was played through but saw his effort parried by Dan Bentley.

But if you thought Saturday’s equaliser at Hillsborough was special, this one certainly topped it. Bakinson raced forward to meet Nagy’s pass, who had cut in off the right, and his first time shot curled gloriously into the top right corner.

Wycombe could have equalised just minutes later as Muskwe ghosted in at the near post but his volley struck the side netting.

It was a sign of their intent and any excitement in City’s overall play dimished after the break as the sun settled over the Buckinghamshire skies.

Wells fired over in their first opportunity of the second half, before Ikpeazu’s acrobatics forced Bentley into a low stop.

However Bentley would be beaten when Ikpeazu arrived with a back-post header, beating his man to convert Anis Mehmeti’s cross.

Pearson soon looked to his bench and changed his wider players as Wells made way for Saikou Janneh, before Semenyo replaced Nagy.

Semenyo was bright and forced Stockdale into two saves but Palmer soon replaced Lansbury with the attacking midfielder’s outstretched arm a contribution to the night that he will want to forget. It came after a late spell of pressure from the hosts and the Robins paid the price.

Bentley had to twice punch away as Wycombe put balls into the box and keeper Stockley was pushed up for the final attacks. And it worked a dream for The Chairboys as he smacked a hopeful shot back into the box and it struck the arm of Palmer.

Akinfenwa, who moments earlier had a goalbound effort tipped away by Bentley, would beat the shotstopper from 12 yards with his 93rd minute strike confirming the Wycombe win.

Dennis Adeniran and Fred Onyedinma were in action for Wycombe Wanderers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here